Post-operative rehab starts right after the surgery. Unfortunately the success of your surgery doesn’t finish the moment you leave the operating theatre.
The surgical procedure is the initial step towards your successful outcome. However, you’ll have to do some work in the form of exercises to optimise your results. That is where post operative rehab comes in.
In hospital you may be provided with simple exercises to minimise complications such as chest infection or DVT’s. You may even be prescribed some early strengthening or range of motion exercises. Once you are discharged, you’ll commonly require re-assessment and checking of your progress.
Post-orthopaedic surgery, you’ll almost certainly require exercise progression to fully regain your strength, flexibility and function. The quickest, safest and easiest way to return to your day to day activities is by consulting a physiotherapist experienced in post-operative rehabilitation.
At Central City Physiotherapy Clinic, we’ll happily assist you in your post-operative care. We are familiar with the treatment protocols prescribed by most Orthopedic Surgeons in Wellington and can liaise with your surgeon to determine any specific requirements based on your individual surgery.
Common surgeries requiring post-operative care
- Shoulder- Shoulder Reconstruction, Shoulder Stabilisation, Rotator Cuff Repair, Acromioplasty, Manipulation, Capsulotomy, Fracture
Elbow- Tennis Elbow Release, Golfers Elbow Release, Fracture
- Wrist & Hand- Carpal Tunnel Release, Fracture, Tendon Repairs
- Hip – Hip Replacements/Resurfacing, Hip labral repairs, Hip Arthroscope, Fracture
- Knee- Knee Replacements, ACL and Ligament Reconstruction, Arthroscope, Meniscal Repairs, Chondroplasty, Lateral Release, Patella Tendon Transfer, Fracture
- Calf- Achilles Tendon Repairs, Fasciotomy
- Ankle & Foot- Ankle Reconstruction, Ligment Repairs, Arthroscope, Fracture, Spur Removal, Bunionectomy
- Spine (Neck & Back)- Discectomy, Micro-discectomy, Laminectomy, Spinal Fusion/Stabilisation
At Central City Physiotherapy Clinic we’ll work with you to develop a tailor made rehabilitation program to ensure you make the best possible recovery in the quickest time. Whatever your needs, we’ll get you back to your work, sport or day to day activities ASAP.
If you have been a surgical patient, it is not necessary to obtain a referral from your specialist to return to exercise rehab – post-operative physiotherapy. However, it is always beneficial to inform your surgeon that you would like to return for post-operative care at Central City Physiotherapy Clinic.
You can make an appointment with Central City Physiotherapy Clinic at any stage. This is especially important if you believe you are not making satisfactory progress in your recovery, or if your mobility is compromised.